Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Maple Sherry Vinaigrette
This recipe is easy, relatively quick and a perfect pairing for pork, roast turkey or even just a pile of mashed potatoes! The sweet and tart of the glaze combined with crispy pancetta and perfectly firm Brussels will make this a favorite with your family and friends.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 bunch of Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half and patted dry
- 5 oz pancetta, cut into ½” cubes
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- High heat all-purpose olive oil, if needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Kissed By Binchotan Japanese Chile Blend
- Preheat broiler on high and move the oven rack to it’s the highest level.
- Add pancetta to a cast iron and turn on the heat to medium/high to render the fat until the pancetta is crispy about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally for even browning.
- While the pancetta is cooking, in a small bowl, combine maple syrup, sherry, and fish sauce to create a glaze.
- Remove pancetta to a plate, retaining the fat in the pan.
- Turn the cast iron to high heat, adding a little bit more oil to the pancetta fat if needed to ensure an even layer of fat in the pan.
- When the oil is hot (just a few seconds), place the Brussels sprouts, flat side down in the oil. Make sure not to overlap as you want one even layer.
- Cook on high heat for about 2–3 minutes until golden brown on the flat side, do not stir.
- Pop them under the broiler to brown the top side.
- Cook 2–4 minutes, depending on size, until golden brown.
- Remove the cast iron from the oven (use an oven mitt!) and back to the stove on medium-high heat.
- Immediately pour glaze over Brussels, and reduce liquid while stirring for about 1–2 minutes until caramelized.
- Add pancetta, Kissed by Binchotan Japanese Chile Blend and salt to taste.