Thai Spice Boneless Short Ribs
Short ribs are one of the most flavorful pieces of beef you can find and cooking them can seem daunting – but shouldn’t. We love this oft-overlooked cut of beef, and especially love Southeast Asian variations, so we couldn’t wait to try Spice Tribe’s Long-Tail Sunset Thai Blend on these thinly sliced pieces of boneless short rib. It did not disappoint one bit, but we did take an unorthodox approach here, and we’ll tell you why. The Long-Tail Sunset spice blend is absolutely amazing, featuring some of our favorite spices and flavors. Coconut, ginger, tamarind (Mark’s favorite), Thai chili, coriander, cumin and lemongrass make up this seafood seasoning. Yes, this is designed – and absolutely perfect for – a wide variety of seafood. After trying this on shrimp, vegetables and fish, we fell in love. But we have used seasonings on proteins that they were not specifically made for many times in the past. The results? Well, they ranged from bad to great and we love searching for great, so why not try something outside of the box? Especially given how exciting the travel-inspired Spice Tribe spice blends are.We hoped and thought the Long-Tail Sunset Thai Blend could transition to beef with outstanding results and we were so excited that it exceeded our expectations. This Thai Spiced Boneless Short Ribs recipe was a “wow” dish and we hope you try it.
Why Short Ribs?
Simplicity was the thought from the start. With a flavorful cut of beef like short ribs, and a tremendous spice blend, we wanted these to shine above all. Just a few additional ingredients, some time to let the marinade do its work and some relatively basic cooking techniques and you have yourself a memorable mouthful of goodness. You can obtain boneless short ribs almost anywhere. If you don’t see the boneless variety, ask the butcher and they’ll most likely cut some up for you. Or buy bone-in short ribs and debone them yourself if you’re long on time or like the challenge Spice Tribe’s lineup of blends are inspired by travel – which is one of the most important things in our lives, and we would be doing a lot more of it if 2020 had turned out a bit differently. We couldn’t have been more excited to try their many spice blends and have been impressed with all of them. We highly recommend giving them a try and why not start with this Thai Spiced Boneless Short Rib recipe? You won’t be disappointed, we promise!
Serving Size: 4-6
- 1-2 lbs boneless beef short ribs - sliced to ⅛ - ¼ inch thickness
- 3 tbsp Long Tail Sunset Thai Blend
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oil (neutral...like grapeseed, canola etc.)
- 1 tbsp toasted, minced dried onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 stalks green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Place sliced short ribs into a bowl and rub Spice Tribe’s Long-Tail Sunset Thai Spice Blend into the meat until thoroughly coated.
- Add remaining ingredients to a bowl and thoroughly combine. Cover bowl and put in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 16 hours.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat to just when it starts to smoke lightly.
- Add pieces of short ribs one-by-one in a single layer and cook until some caramelization appears and flip to cook the other side.
- Remove from heat and continue the process with the remaining short rib pieces.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and additional soy sauce.