Caramelized Onion and Porcini Braised Chicken Legs
Chef Trent Blodgett
This is my ultimate comfort food but can also be a crowd pleaser and it couldn’t be easier! The key is the caramelized onions that slow cook with all of the chicken juices along with the umami herbaceous punch from the Porcini Paradiso. This recipe is great for leftover so you can easily add a few extra legs to this recipe and eat them for lunch during the week. I highly recommend bread or rice to soak up all the delicious braising liquid but you can absolutely just eat it over sautéed mushrooms for a paleo and keto hit!
- 4 chicken legs
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 cup of rich homemade stock with fat
- if you don’t have homemade stock, use 3/4 cup of low sodium chicken stock and 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 1 Tbsp Porcini Paradiso
- .25 cup ghee
- Salt to taste
- Garnish with lemon wedge chopped parsley and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Heat Dutch oven over high heat, when hot add ghee.
- Season and sear chicken legs to brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken legs to a plate and add onion.
- Cook the onions down for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in the spices and add the chicken legs back to the pot followed by the chicken stock
- Season with salt and cover the pot with a lid and bake for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Serve over rice with a side of our sautéed mushrooms
- Sprinkle parsley to garnish and black pepper