Purple Sweet Potato Marrakesh Sitar Pie with Pecan Streusel
It’s a very purple-licious riff off of the Southern classic sweet potato pie! Paired with a gingersnap curst and topped with a pecan streusel, it’s the ultimate comfort food dessert with a healthy twist!
- 2 pounds purple sweet potatoes
- .5 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ube flavoring (optional – for color)
- 1.5 tablespoons Marrakesh Sitar Moroccan Blend
- .25 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 ounces gingersnaps
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- .25 cup of oats
- .25 cup of pecans
- .25 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons Spice Tribe Marrakesh sitar
- .25 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork all over and wrap each with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until tender, 1 hr. – 1 ½hrs. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While sweet potatoes bake, place the gingersnap cookies in the bowl of a food processor and process until they are finely ground (about 2 cups). Add the walnuts and sugar; pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse briefly again until everything is mixed together.
- Pat the crust into a deep 9-inch pie plate, and up the sides. Bake for 10-15 minutes (at 350 F), until firm and slightly darkened. Set aside to cool. Note: crust can be baked 1 day ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
- Peel cooled sweet potatoes and discard skins. Using a food processor, handheld or stand mixer, pulse until smooth. Add butter, light brown sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla, ube flavoring (optional), Marrakesh sitar and salt. Puree until all combined and very smooth.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into prepared gingersnap pie shell. Bake in preheated oven until filling is set, about 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together oats, pecans, coconut, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Marrakesh sitar and salt.
- Remove pie from oven and sprinkle center with oat mixture. Return to oven; bake at 350°F until topping is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool completely, about 4 hours.
- Be sure to pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork several times so that steam can escape while they’re baking.
- To make the purple hue filling an even deeper purple, add ube extract.
- To make this pie vegan, use coconut oil in the crust and streusel, coconut milk for the filling, and omit the whipped cream.
- The crust can be baked 1 day ahead and stored tightly wrapped at room temperature.
- Don’t top the piping hot pie with whipped cream or you’ll have a bit fat melt-y mess…