Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Confit Creme Fraiche
Chef Trent Blodgett
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 10 garlic cloves
- 5 oz creme fraiche
- 1 tsp California Love
- 1 cup of duck fat or ghee
- Peruvian Pink Salt
- Chives, sliced for garnish
- Combine garlic and duck fat or ghee in a pan and simmer gently for about 45 minutes or until golden and tender. You can make a big batch of this and save them for up to 2 weeks if desired.
- Add potatoes to a pot and cover about an inch over the potatoes with cold water, season generously with salt.
- Bring potatoes to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer for 10- 15 minutes depending on size or until fork tender.
- Strain the garlic cloves from the oil and add the oil to a cast iron and heat over medium high heat.
- Gently press down on each potato to crush and flatten and add each one to the hot oil and fry until crispy about 3 minutes per side.
- Just before they are finished add the California Love and toss the potatoes in the spiced oil. Careful the spices burn easily and remove from the heat if needed. If cooking in batches, wait until the last batch to add the spices and then toss all of the potatoes in the spiced oil.
- Mix the garlic cloves with creme fraiche and season with salt.
- Spread the garlic creme fraiche on a plate and top with the potatoes and garnish with Pink Peruvian Salt and chives.