Spatchcocked Mama Manje Roast Chicken with Peaches & Herbs
Serving Size: 4-6
- 2 lb whole chicken
- .5 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 whole lemon or lime, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mama Manje Haitian Blend
- 2-3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 2 yellow peaches, sliced
- .25 cup herbs of your choice: parsley, thyme, oregano all work
FOR THE PIKLIZ
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 4 thinly sliced scotch bonnet peppers
- .25 cup yellow, green and red bell peppers, sliced fine
- .5 yellow or red onion, sliced fine
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- a few whole peppercorns
- (Cleaning your chicken this way is completely optional. Simply season, marinate and roast if that is your preferred method.)
- Place chicken on a clean surface, use kitchen shears to remove backbone. Flip chicken over with legs facing out and press down firmly until you hear a pop. Your chicken is now spatchcocked! Using clean hands, rub the salt all over the bird to remove impurities followed by lemon or lime. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour then rinse off salt.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, combine spices, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl and rub evenly all over chicken (front and back).
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 3 hours for the flavor to soak in.
- Remove chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before roasting breast side up at 450F for 45 minutes to 1 hour until internal temp is 160F.
- Add peaches and onion halfway through, basting with juices.
- Rest for 15 minutes after removing from the oven, scatter with herbs and serve with pickled vegetables.
- I added some garlic butter at the end.
FOR THE PIKLIZ
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for PIKLIZ.
- Add to a jar and press down with a weight.
- Refrigerate for at least a day. Keeps for a long time and gets better with age.