With the added depth of bacon, your pork dishes may never be the same! Great in rice, beans, braises, soups, and stews.
Serving Size: 1.5-2
- 12 ounces bacon, roughly chopped into ½” pieces
- 2 red onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- .5 cup fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 1 cup jalapeño peppers, seeded (or not, if you like it spicy) and chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp Mombacho Cafe Spice Blend
- .25 cup water, more as needed
- Add bacon and water to a cold pan and turn heat to medium. As the water evaporates, the bacon will fry evenly in its own fat. Let cook until almost crispy before proceeding to step 2. If water is evaporating too quickly, you can add more water or cover the pan with a lid.
- Reduce heat to low and add onions and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally about 15–20 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 10 more minutes. At this point, your ingredients should be nice and caramelized.
- Add Mombacho Cafe Spice Blend and stir well. Cook another 2–3 minutes.
- Use immediately, or cool and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to a week; or, freeze for future use.