BBQ Short Ribs with Charred Scallion Ginger Sauce
Galbi or Kalbi, which is a dish made with marinated short rib, is always my favorite thing to eat at Korean BBQ or Hawaiian BBQ restaurants. For this dish, I made a Japanese inspired teriyaki/tare marinade used to marinate the ribs for at least an hour, up to overnight. Once they’re cooked, I dust the ribs with our Japanese blend, Kissed by Binchotan, for extra spice and flavor.
This recipe is a perfect example of why we do not put salt in our blends because we like to have full control over the final dish and since there is already quite a lot of salt in soy sauce, it’s best to hold off adding salt until the final taste. The accompanying scallion ginger sauce is delicious tossed with grilled or roasted vegetables or mushrooms for a delicious vegetarian side option.
- 4- 5 lb Korean style short ribs
- Kissed by Binchotan Japanese Chile Blend for dusting the ribs after they are cooked
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or more to taste
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup mirin
Scallion- Ginger Sauce
- 1-2 bunches of scallions charred and chopped, about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup sesame oil or other neutral oil, NOT toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Salt to taste
- Mix sugar, soy sauce and mirin in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. You can also bring everything to a boil to dissolve, just make sure it cools before next step.
- Add marinade to short ribs and marinade in refrigerator for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- Mix everything together for the scallion- ginger sauce and let sit while you heat the grill. This sauce can be made the day before.
- Heat bbq over high heat and remove short ribs from marinade letting the excess marinade drip off.
- Grill the short ribs for 3-4 minutes per side over high heat.
- Dust the short ribs with Kissed by Binchotan blend to give a complex spice to every bite. This blend is spicy so season to taste.
- Sugar in the marinade can burn quickly if left unattended.
- Make sure to get Korean style cut short ribs. The cooking time will be very quick because these short ribs are cut thin. Cut between the ribs before serving.
- I served these with some simple sauteed bok choi.