Braised Lentils and Glazed Carrots
Chef Trent Blodgett
- .33 cup of olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp of Mombacho Café Nicaraguan Blend
- 2 cups Umbrian lentils
- 1 Qt chicken or vegetable stock, enough to cover the lentils
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 bunch kale, tough stems removed and rough chopped
- Salt to taste; serve with lemon wedge
- 10-13 carrots, peeled and trimmed, tops reserved
- Olive oil to coat
- 1 tsp Mombacho Café
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
FOR GLAZED CARROTS
FOR THE LENTILS
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat dutch oven to medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add carrots and onion and sauté until slightly caramelized.
- Add Mombacho Café to bloom in the oil until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the lentils and the stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook 30–45 minutes or until tender.
- While lentils are cooking, peel carrots.
- Rub whole carrots with oil, salt, spice and maple syrup.
- Spread onto sheet pan, and roast at 400F for 30–40 min until just tender but still have a bite (unless you like mushy carrots)
- When carrots are almost finished, reduce heat of lentils to low and add coconut milk and kale; turn off heat and stir kale into lentils, it will cook from the residual heat
- Add salt as needed.
- Serve in a bowl topped with glazed carrots, carrot tops and lemon on the side.