Cream of Spinach Soup
It is THE season for Soup. And one of my Fall/ Winter favorites is a Cream of Spinach Soup. I adore seasonal leafy greens and love using them as much in soups, stir fries and flatbreads. Two of my favorite soup essential spices are Nutmeg and Black Peppercorn. These beautiful whole spices from @spicetribe added so much depth and flavor to the soup. Their line of single origin spices is definitely worth taking a look at!
Sharing a recipe below in comments and in my stories; do give it a try and let me know. It is kid-friendly and happily approved too !
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach leaves, well washed
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 3-4 cups vegetable (or chicken) stock
- .25 cup coconut (or dairy) milk
whole Spice Tribe Island Nutmeg
- .25-.5 tsp Spice Tribe Black Pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a Dutch Oven. Add the roughly smashed and chopped garlic, sauté for a minute, and then add the onions and green chili.
- Once the onions are light golden brown, add the spinach leaves. Stir this mixture well on medium flame for about 5 minutes or until the spinach has wilted but doesn’t change color.
- Add the stock to desired consistency and let this come to a boil.
- Switch off the heat and let it cool. Purée using a blender or hand immersion blender until very smooth.
- Transfer this back into the dutch oven and let the soup simmer. Feel free to add more stock if need be.
- At this stage, add in the black pepper and grate in some nutmeg.
- Stir well and add the milk.
- Check for seasoning/salt, and let this simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Switch off and serve immediately with some fried bread croutons or sour cream and another dash of freshly ground black pepper