Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Creamy Green Sauce and Trout Roe
The classic combo of potatoes, roe (or caviar) and sour cream reimagined. This is a great appetizer or platter for a party but fair warning – they are so good, you might forgo dinner and eat these for your entire meal.
- 24 oz small potatoes (Dutch baby or butterball for example)
- 3 scallion stalks, cut into 1/2 in sticks
- 1/3 cup trout roe
- Maras Chile Flakes to taste
- Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt to taste
- 2 bunch of parsley (bottom of stems removed but no need to remove all of the stems)
- 1 bunch of scallions minus the three you removed for the final dish
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeños
- 6 oz of Parmesan grated
- 2 Tbsp of lime juice
- 5 oz of creme fraiche or sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Add the potatoes to a pot and cover with cold water. Bring them to the stove and simmer till tender, 20-25 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking make your sauce. Chop everything finely buy hand or add eveything except Parmesan, lime juice and creme to food processor and purée. Add Parmesan, lime juice and creme fraiche at the end and season to taste with salt.
- Heat a cast iron with ghee to medium heat. Fry the reserved 1/2 inch scallion sticks until fragrant and crispy. Remove to a plate with paper towel.
- When the potatoes are finished cooking, drain and let dry. Smash each potato gently to flatten and fry in the same cast iron over medium heat until crispy. You may need to add more oil.
- Cook the potatoes on each side to crisp them up and remove to another plate lined with paper towel. Cook potatoes in batches if needed so they dont overcrowd. Season everything with salt as soon as it comes out of the pan and onto the plate.
- To serve, give each plate a swoop of green sauce and then top them with the potatoes, fried scallions, trout roe and sprinkle Maras chile flakes and more Pink Peruvian salt to taste.
- Trout roe isn’t necessary in this dish as it is delicious without it but it adds a nice briney funk that I love.
- This recipe will probably make more green sauce than you need but it is delicious on many things and a great addition to your fridge. Try it with anything from chips to bbq chicken.