Farro, Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Sauté
Chef Trent Blodgett
This is an incredibly hearty and healthy one pot vegan dish that can be eaten hot or room temp. If you aren’t vegan, I love this dish with a fried egg and Parmesan on top!
- .5 cup olive oil and more if needed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 6 oz chopped mushrooms, maitake
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Ancient Halaby, Middle Eastern Chile Blend
- 2 cups cooked farro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Parsley to garnish
- .33 cup chopped marcona almonds to garnish
- Heat oil in a cast iron over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and sauté for 2 minutes before adding a pinch of salt to help release moisture.
- Continue to cook on medium- low heat, stirring often until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove onions to a bowl and add more oil if needed.
- When the oil is hot add the chopped mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sauté for a minute or 2 followed by scallions and spice blend.
- Add cooked farro and stir to combine.
- Add the caramelized onions back to the pan and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until everything is hot and the carrots are tender but still have some texture.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley and almonds.
- I like to cook farro like you would pasta. Salted water at a rolling boil until tender and then drain.