Farro, Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Sauté
This is an incredibly hearty and healthy one pot vegan dish that can be eaten hot or room temp. If you aren’t vegan, I love this dish with a fried egg and Parmesan on top!
- 1/2 cup olive oil and more if needed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 6 oz chopped mushrooms, maitake
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Ancient Halaby, Middle Eastern Chile Blend
- 2 cups cooked farro
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Parsley to garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped marcona almonds to garnish
- Heat oil in a cast iron over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and sauté for 2 minutes before adding a pinch of salt to help release moisture.
- Continue to cook on medium- low heat, stirring often until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove onions to a bowl and add more oil if needed.
- When the oil is hot add the chopped mushrooms and cook until beginning to brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sauté for a minute or 2 followed by scallions and spice blend.
- Add cooked farro and stir to combine.
- Add the caramelized onions back to the pan and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until everything is hot and the carrots are tender but still have some texture.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley and almonds.
- I like to cook farro like you would pasta. Salted water at a rolling boil until tender and then drain.