Grilled Scallops & Summer Succotash
Chef Patricio Duffoo
The perfect summertime recipe that screams freshness, seasonality, and deliciousness with gorgeous and eye popping colors.
From the sweet, salty and tender scallops to the fresh, flavorful and beautiful produce used for this dish there is not much you’ll need to add, just a couple dashes of our California Love All Purpose Blend.
The only secret here is to get the freshest ingredients possible and we went with seasonal produce for this “Summer Succotash.” It includes lightly grilled yellow peaches for a burst of juicy sweetness, charred padron peppers for that smokey and spice, sautéed fresh yellow corn for that sweet, crunchy texture and tomatoes added at the last moment so they’re slightly warm with the perfect amount of acidity needed to balance out all the beautiful bounty Mother Nature has to offer to all of us.
When selecting your peaches for this recipe, get ones that are ripe, but still firm enough to hold their shape when kissing them with the grill. This step is crucial for that extra sweet flavor and caramelization from the fire and the grill marks add in some texture to the chunks. If available, look for “Freestone Peaches” which are the best for baking and grilling since their pit tends to fall right out when you bite or cut into them.
I also recommend you to try it with Mama Manje Haitian Blend for that “extra spicy kick” or the Mombacho Cafe Nicaraguan Blend combined with the Marrakesh Sitar Moroccan Blend for a more adventurous take on the recipe.
- 12 ea U-10 scallops
- Spice Tribe California Love All Purpose Blend
Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- 2 ea garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint Padron Peppers
- 3 ea yellow corn, kernels shucked
- 3 ea yellow peach, cut into chunks
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced diagonally into 2 inch thick
- Olive oil
- Preheat your grill while you prepare the peaches, corn and cherry tomatoes.
- Run a sharp knife all the way around along the seam of the peaches, twist their halves off in opposite directions to loosen their pits, remove the pit and cut each half in halfs again. Brush the sides of the peaches with olive oil, season with salt and grill undisturbed until the fruit has developed grill marks on each side, approximately 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and let cool off, once cooled cut into bite size chunks.
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot add the Padron Peppers season with salt and cook stirring occasionally until the skin is starting to blister and browning, remove from heat.
- Add garlic to the pan/skillet and cook for 1 minute, add corn kernels, season with salt, ground black pepper, California Love Blend and cook until kernels start to brown, return the padron peppers, peaches, scallions, tomatoes to the pan and toss to combine well, adjust seasoning and serve.
- Pat dry the scallops, season with salt and California Love Blend and grill for approximately 2 minutes on each side.
- Once the scallops are ready, serve on top of the “summer succotash”.