Chef Patricio Duffoo
A great vegetarian soup filled with umami that sticks to your ribs. Inspiration was transforming an everyday ingredient like button mushrooms into something luxurious and delicious. This recipe is great if you have many mushroom scraps. Instead of throwing it away you can sauté it all together and blend it up.
- 2 lbs fresh button mushrooms
- 6 oz unsalted butter
- .75 cup Madeira
- 10 cups water/vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Spice Tribe Porcini Paradiso blend
- 1 large russet potato
- 2.5 tsp salt
- .5 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp white pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1inch cubes, put the potato cubes in a large bowl enough to hold them and cover it with water to prevent oxidizing. Set aside.
- Cut button mushrooms in slices.
- In a big pot over medium to high heat melt the butter until foam starts forming, add sliced mushrooms, 1tsp salt and saute stirring occasionally until mushrooms become soft and liquid from mushrooms evaporates, approx. 10 minutes. Add madeira, stirring occasionally until almost most of the liquid is evaporated, approx. 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add it to the pot.
- Add water/broth, Porcini Paradiso blend, 1½tsp salt, white pepper and bring up to boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Add cream and remove it from heat.
- Using a blender, puree the mixture until very smooth (do it in multiple batches, be very careful when blending hot liquids!)
- Return pureed soup to a pot and bring it to boil, adjust seasoning.
- Could garnish it with sliced raw button mushrooms, sliced chives or scallions, shaved cheese (Parmesan or Pecorino) and drizzled with EVOO.