Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
I am in a cozy winter mode with these red wine braised short ribs! Charred to perfection short ribs topped with a lil green onion, parsley and lemon zest.
They start off being tossed with vegetables, red wine, balsamic vinegar and aromatics. The short ribs are then braised in the oven for 3+ hours, till it becomes so off-the bone tender. Your house will smell immaculate.
TIPS on braising
First, be patient!
Second, I think what’s so important when you’re braising meat is really taking the time to to char your short ribs on all sides.
Third, take your time sautéing the vegetables and letting your wine reduce. Otherwise, it can become bitter if you don’t let the wine cook down all the way!
Fourth, let it really simmer and braise in the oven, and ENJOY!
- 2 pounds bone in short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 4 medium sized carrots, finely chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 cups water or stock
- 1 cup red wine
.5 teaspoon Spice Tribe Maras Chile Flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional topping: a mixture of green onions, lemon zest, parsley and cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. To begin, heat a dutch oven or deep pot with oil. Sear your short ribs on all sides on high heat. You want a nice browned char, so be patient and don’t overcrowd the pan – I did it in 2 batches. About 7-8 minutes per side, until charred. Remove and set aside in a bowl.
- Remove about 1/2 of the short ribs oil and drizzle on additional oil. Add in your onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Stir well and sweat to 10-15 minutes – season with salt and pepper and add your maras chile.
- Next add in your tomato paste and flour and cook that down, so the flour is completely mixed and the tomato paste has cooked down.
- After that, add in your red wine, rosemary and balsamic vinegar and reduce that down as well on medium low, let that reduce for 20-30 minutes.
- Then, add your short ribs back in and do a light toss with all the vegetables. Finish off the braise with broth or water. Bring this to a boil, then place in the oven. Braise for around 3 hours until your short ribs are completely tender and fall apart off the bone. You can keep checking on it every 45-ish minutes to toss and look. Serve with parsley/cilantro and green onions!