Roasted Beetroot Soup
Roasted Beetroot Soup. Perfect for the season. One of the most velvety and smooth textured soups ever. We are a beetroot loving family. Beets in salads, soups, kneaded into the dough for making Indian breads, the list is endless. Beetroots are a great source of fiber and Vitamin C. Beetroots are delicious when raw but more frequently cooked as well. The carbs in beetroots are mainly simple sugars, such as glucose and fructose. Beetroots and beetroot juice like we all know have many health benefits, especially for the heart. I personally love the ABC or the apple-beetroot-carrot juice a lot. Often on cold, winter days, this beetroot soup makes for a comforting early dinner, with or without a slice of toasted bread.
I have used Spice Tribe Wild Black Cumin Seeds to temper this soup in some extra virgin olive oil and my personal favorite from them, their Black Peppercorns, freshly crushed, to finish the soup. Cumin and peppercorns are fantastic in the winter and so good for keeping our bodies warm. Spice Tribe is an ethically sourced single-origin spice line that benefits small farmers and cuts the middlemen. They are freshly ground and made in small batches. Sharing a recipe of how I made this soup in the comments below. Do give it a try and I’m sure you’ll love it.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 small beetroots
- 1 small potato
- 1 small white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Wild Black Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Late Harvest Black Peppercorns
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk/ cream(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Clean and dry the beetroots. Coat with some olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Take out from the oven once they’re cooked and peel thereafter.
- Peel the boiled potato and keep it aside. Cut both the beetroots and the potato into quarters.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and add the cumin seeds. Let them splutter and subsequently add chopped garlic and finely chopped onion. Saute till light golden brown.
- Now add the beetroot and potato and mix well.
- To this, add the vegetable stock and let this mixture come to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool and blend to a fine soup consistency. Transfer back into the pan and check for seasoning. Add freshly ground black pepper and let simmer for another 5 minutes along with a dash of coconut milk/ cream if using.
- Serve hot immediately along with some nice, olive oil/ butter toasted bread or a salad.