Chef Trent Blodgett
I love this breakfast with some warm crusty sourdough. So easy, delicious and healthy all cooked in one pan. Add some chorizo for a Spanish twist! Pictured above is a variation with guanciale and feta.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add oil to coat the pan.
- Add onion when the oil is shimmering followed by the bell peppers.
- Cook 5–7 minutes or until onions are translucent and peppers begin to soften.
- Add shallot and garlic and continue to cook about 2 more minutes or until fragrant and slightly brown and caramelized.
- Add Ancient Halaby and stir to combine.
- Add tomato sauce and cook for about 10 more minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt to taste.
- Make little indents in the sauce for the eggs. Crack the eggs into small ramekins or bowls and slide each egg into the indent.
- Season the eggs with salt and cover and cook over low heat until the whites have set about 8 minutes or cook in a 375F oven for 7–10 minutes. I recommend checking the eggs frequently because everyone’s heat source will be different. Remember the eggs will continue to cook after the pan is removed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and garnish with yogurt dollops, cilantro and crushed pistachios.
- Serve with crusty sourdough
This recipe also works on the stove slowly simmer until the whites set. I recommend a pan with a clear lid so you can see exactly when they finish cooking.