Sofrito Roasted Chicken
Serving Size: 4
- 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds, spatchcocked and flattened (see things to remember)
- Kosher salt, 1 teaspoon per pound of chicken
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 medium carrots, large chunks cut on a bias
- 3 celery stalks, large chunks cut on a bias
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Spice Tribe Sofrito Spice Bend
- Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Liberally season the chicken all over with kosher salt, using 1 teaspoon per pound, making sure to coat both the top and underneath the bird. Set aside to let rest and come close to room temperature. On a whole sheet pan or large roasting pan, add the chopped up vegetables and toss well with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with a large pinch of kosher salt. Place a few fresh cilantro sprigs in the center of the pan and then place the salted, spatchcocked chicken on top of the cilantro and vegetables.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, Spice Tribe Sofrito Spice Blend, and chopped cilantro until well-mixed. Use your fingers to gently separate the skin from the chicken breasts and leg quarters. Make sure to not rip the skin off. This will help seal in moisture while roasting the chicken. Rub the butter underneath the skin and on top of the breasts and thighs. Spread evenly across the bird.
- Next, get a good drizzle of olive oil all over the bird and sprinkle a little more kosher salt on the skin so it can get crisp in the oven. Once the oven is up to temperature, roast the chicken with the thighs facing the back of the oven for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour. Don’t open the oven until the timer goes off and check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer to make sure it’s ready. This is key! No peeking! Opening the oven always releases crucial heat buildup, so you’re only extending your cooking time by opening the door.
- Take the chicken out at 160ºF and let it rest for at least 10 minutes and take the resting temperature before serving (it should be at 165ºF). Serve the roasted chicken and vegetables with your favorite side dish or just enjoy it as is.