Zafrani (Saffron) Chicken Tikka Kebabs
These are deliciously moist and so very tender; do you see ? Vegetarians can easily swap the chicken with paneer/ tofu chunks here. The combination of The Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby spice mix (a Middle Eastern Chile Blend) and Sargol Saffron is so beautiful in this dish.
@spicetribe sent me their beautiful single origin spices to try recently; they are sustainably sourced and great for multicultural recipes#ad
The chicken kebab skewers are perfect on their own with evening drinks or along with some roomali rotis and/ or steamed basmati rice. I am sharing a detailed recipe in comments below and on my stories as well. Do give it a try; these kebabs are perfect for the Holiday season ! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone !
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts, cut into 1 - 1.5" chunks
- 1 Tbsp Warm Milk for the Saffron
- .25 tsp Spice Tribe Sargol Saffron
- 1 Tbsp Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby Spice Blend
- .125 tsp coarse ground Black Pepper
- .25 tsp Paprika
- .5 tsp toasted Cumin Powder
- .5 cup Greek/Hung Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 Red Onion, cut into 1" squares
- 1 each Red and Green Bell Peppers, cut into 1" squares (optional)
- Oil to grill
For the Marinade
- Mix the saffron in warm milk and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, take all the ingredients for the marinade and add the saffron milk. Give this a good mix and add chicken cubes along with the onion and bell pepper chunks so they get coated well.
- Cover and refrigerate this for about 4-6 hours for a good marination.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil on a grill or cast iron pan and cook the chicken in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side so that they cook well and the vegetable chunks get a good sear. You may also choose to skewer them like I did, and grill.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice and a chutney/dip of your choice.