Zafrani (Saffron) Chicken Tikka Kebabs
These are deliciously moist and so very tender. Vegetarians can easily swap the chicken with paneer/ tofu chunks here. The combination of The Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby spice mix (a Middle Eastern Chile Blend) and Super Negin Saffron is so beautiful in this dish.
Spice Tribe sent me their beautiful single origin spices to try recently; they are sustainably sourced and great for multicultural recipes. The chicken kebab skewers are perfect on their own with evening drinks or along with some roomali rotis and/ or steamed basmati rice. I am sharing a detailed recipe in comments below and on my stories as well. Do give it a try; these kebabs are perfect for the Holiday season! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone!
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts, cut into 1 - 1.5\" chunks
- 1 Tbsp Warm Milk for the Saffron
- .25 tsp Super Negin Saffron
- Ancient Halaby Middle Eastern Chile Blend
- .125 tsp coarse ground Black Pepper
- .25 tsp Paprika
- .5 tsp toasted Cumin Powder
- .5 cup Greek/Hung Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 Red Onion, cut into 1\" squares
- 1 each Red and Green Bell Peppers, cut into 1\" squares (optional)
- Oil to grill
- Mix the saffron in warm milk and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, take all the ingredients for the marinade and add the saffron milk. Give this a good mix and add chicken cubes along with the onion and bell pepper chunks so they get coated well.
- Cover and refrigerate this for about 4-6 hours for a good marination.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil on a grill or cast iron pan and cook the chicken in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side so that they cook well and the vegetable chunks get a good sear. You may also choose to skewer them like I did, and grill.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice and a chutney/dip of your choice.