California Love Roasted Pepper Sauce
Chef Trent Blodgett
- 3 red bell peppers, trimmed and seeded, rough chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, trimmed and seeded, rough chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large onion, cut in half and peeled, rough chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3–5 Tbsp neutral oil, more as needed
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp for blending California Love All-Purpose Chile Blend
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat oven to 400℉.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss red peppers, jalapenos and onions (and garlic if you like). with a 1 Tbsp of oil and all of the spice blend; spread onto a ½ sheet pan/cookie sheet.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until wilted and nicely browned (slightly caramelized).
- Let cool to a point where you can handle the ingredients.
- Add roasted pepper mix and the remainder of ingredients to blender or food processor and blend until smooth. It may be necessary to add a little more oil for a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Season to taste with more salt, lime juice.
- Serve immediately or store tightly covered in a refrigerator for up to a week.
- Serve with California Love Flank Steak Tacos
- It is best to use gloves when handling jalapeno peppers
- You can either roast the garlic with the peppers and onions or leave it raw for a more pungent result
- A hand-held citrus juicer (like the kind they use in bars) is a great all-around tool. Buy the yellow one (designed for lemons) — as it works just as well for the smaller limes
- When using citrus, be careful to strain the seeds, as even the smallest one can turn your sauce bitter.