Coq Au Vin
My rendition of the classic French dish of red wine braised chicken with bacon and mushrooms. I used our Porcini Paradiso spice blend that pairs perfectly with this recipe and really takes it to the next level. This stew feels like a warm hug and makes for the ultimate comfort food.
- 6 Chicken Legs, skin on/bone in
- 12 oz Bacon, chopped into 1/2\" pieces
- 1 lb Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large Yellow Onion, sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Porcini Paradiso Italian Blend
- 1/2 bottle (~ 1.5 - 2 cups) Red Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt to taste
- A few sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add bacon and 1/2 cup of water to a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Simmer until water is evaporated and then fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Sear chicken legs in bacon fat in batches until nicely golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Remove to the side.
- Sauté onions in the bacon/chicken drippings over low heat slowly caramelizing them for about 15 min.
- Add garlic followed by Porcini Paradiso. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour and stir to combine.
- Add wine and increase the heat to medium/medium high to deglaze the pan; scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add chicken thighs and chicken stock and season with salt. Bring to a simmer and then cover.
- Put covered pot in oven and cook for for 1 hour. (meat thermometer in thickest part of thigh should read 165 F – if you don’t have one, 1 hour should be plenty of time)
- While chicken legs are cooking. Sauté the mushrooms in a touch of olive oil and a sprig if thyme. Season with salt
- When chicken is done, remove from oven and stir in the mushrooms. Garnish with thyme.
- Chicken legs are actually chicken drumsticks with the thigh attached.