Crispy Spiced Chicken with Olives, Tomatoes & Feta in a Savory Brothy Sauce
- 4 bone in skin on chicken thighs
Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- Fresh Spice Tribe Late Harvest Black Peppercorns
Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby (It has Aleppo pepper, sumac, paprika, coriander, garlic, lemon peel, thyme + cumin - delicious, my fave one!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Zest + juice of 1 small lemon 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion + diced red bell pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic + 1/2 sliced serrano (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, parsley
- Pinch of Spice Tribe Wild Cured Sumac
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup (or more) whole cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cubed feta, fresh herbs + sumac powder to serve
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, Ancient Halaby, garlic powder, lemon zest + juice and olive oil. Sometimes I cut slightly into the back of the thigh and when seasoning, make sure to get it in there + all over the chicken for the best flavor. Cover, refrigerate overnight or minimum 2hrs.
- Preheat oven to 375F, remove chicken from fridge 20 minutes prior to cooking. In an ovenproof skillet over medium heat, sear chicken skin side down first for 3-5 minutes and then flip to cook the bottom. They should be light golden brown and skin semi crisped up. Transfer to a plate, set aside.
- Add onion, peppers + garlic to the same skillet, sauté for 5-8 minutes, scrape any sticky bits with a wooden spoon.
- Add fresh thyme, and an extra teaspoon of spice if you prefer for max flavor.
- Add the stock or wine, olives and tomatoes then nestle chicken back into the skillet. Roast for 20 minutes or until the internal temp reads 165F and the chicken is golden, tomatoes are blistered.
- Smash some of the tomatoes into the sauce.
- Remove from the oven, add feta (the residual heat will gently melt the feta), a pinch of sumac, fresh herbs then serve!
- Eat it with rice, cauli rice, or your favorite green.