Duck Mole Tacos
Duck Mole Tacos
Luxurious and rich duck tacos covered in a delicious, time-saving, lazy mole inspired sauce make these tacos perfect for a special Mexican inspired meal. Traditional mole sauces are a labor of love when made from scratch, but absolutely worth the time and energy. When you simply don’t have either of those, creating a mole inspired sauce with our Masa Mole Spice Blend (which has all of the Chile flavors and spices you will need) and a nut butter will save time and satisfy your craving.
The world mole is derived from the Nahuatl (one of languages of the Aztecs) word mōlli, meaning sauce. There are endless types of mole sauces with a huge range of flavors and colors. Mole poblano is the most well known mole sauce in America and you may recognize it for its dark brown coloring. It’s made with Chiles, spices, nuts and chocolate or cacao. I highly recommend trying it at your favorite local Mexican restaurant if you haven’t before
Serving Size: 4
- 4 confit duck legs, shredded
- 16 corn tortillas/La Palma purple corn tortillas
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp Spice Tribe Masa Mole Mexican blend
- 16 oz tomato puree
- 4 tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (or almond butter if you prefer)
- .5 cup chicken broth
- .25 cup cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium size saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until soft and translucent (approximately 6 to 7 minutes),stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and Masa Mole Mexican blend and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes, keep stirring to cook well.
- Lower the heat to medium and add tomato puree, cook for another 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes aren’t too acidic.
- Add chicken broth, chocolate chips, peanut butter, combine well and remove from heat.
- In a blender (or with an immersion blender) add cilantro leaves and puree in batches until smooth.
- Return the mix to the saucepan and simmer until sauce has thickened to a medium body.
- Heat up duck meat and tortillas.
- Build your taco by placing shredded duck meat on corn tortilla, with a small ladle or spoon place mole sauce on top of shredded duck meat.
Garnish with pomegranate seeds/sliced jalapenos/sesame seeds/cilantro leaves/lime wedges. Options are endless!