Fried Eggplant with Honey
This dish is versatile in that it can be a starter, a side, an entree, or a dessert. If you’re someone who likes options, this is a great recipe to have in your back pocket and it’s super easy.
The steps go quick, so you’re better off reading through them first, prepping your ingredients and setting yourself up for success. You’ll want to put this on the table right out of the pan for the ultimate crispy factor. Simply finish them off with a drizzle of honey for that salty sweet taste that will keep you wanting more.
- 2 eggplants, sliced 1/4 inch thick in rounds
- Oil for frying
- 4 Tbsp flour
- Honey to garnish
- For the batter
- 2 Tbsp Ancient Halaby Middle Eastern Chile Blend
- .33 cup flour
- .33 cup water
- .33 cup milk
- Heat oil in a deep pan to 350F
- Mix the ingredients to make the batter.
- Dip the eggplant slices in flour and then in the batter, then fry until golden brown and tender, about 2-3 minutes or so per side.
- Cook in batches, do not overcrowd, which will cause the temperature to drop and the batter will absorb the oil without getting crispy.
- Drain well and season with salt and drizzle with honey.
- Eggplant oxidizes quickly so make sure the oil is heated, the batter is made and you are organized before slicing the eggplant. Slice them and put them directly into the flour, then the batter, then the oil and cook in batches. Grab a friend to help you!