Honey-Garlic Mojo Chicken
Chef Reina Gascon-Lopez
- 4 chicken thighs or 2 leg quarters, bone-in and skin-on
- Large pinch kosher salt
- Large pinch black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp Spice Tribe Black Garlic Adobo Spice Blend
- 2 tbsp Spice Tribe Sofrito Spice Blend
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (canola or grapeseed)
- Place the chicken in large mixing bowl and liberally season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Set aside to work on the marinade.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crushed garlic cloves, citrus juices, Spice Tribe Black Garlic Adobo Spice Blend, Spice Tribe Sofrito Spice Blend, apple cider vinegar, honey, and oil. Whisk together and make sure everything is mixed well. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking. Then, pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure that the pieces are as covered as possible. Let them marinate for 30 minutes. Keep in mind, that you want to make sure the chicken is close to room temperature before roasting to make sure you have even browning and cooking times.
- Once 20 minutes has passed, turn the oven on to preheat to 400ºF. In another 10 minutes, and once the oven is up to temperature, remove the chicken from the marinade and place in a cast iron skillet or roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until juices run clear or the internal temperature of meat is at 165°F, which can take roughly about 30-45 minutes depending on your oven. About five minutes before the chicken is done, turn the oven off and carefully take the pan out of the oven and drizzle a little bit more honey on the top of each thigh’s skin. Place the chicken back in the oven so the honey can melt and help the chicken develop a beautiful, golden color while they finish roasting with the residual heat.
- Once done, let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes and then serve the chicken with any side you like. This would pair well with some fresh vegetables or your favorite kind of rice. I like serving this with sautéed sweet potatoes and steamed green beans. Simple and delicious!