Smokey Sausage Smoortjie with Spinach over Parmesan Grits
Smoortjie = a simple tomato & onion stew with sliced hot dogs when we were struggling, and good sausage when we got paid
A little bit South African, a little bit Southern…seasoned with Italian flavors (@spicetribe Porcini Paradiso blend) to make these basic staples stand out
I love that this blend brings out the flavor of regular old button mushrooms, with rosemary, Spice Tribe Porcini Paradiso, Calabrian Chile and basil.
- .5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4.8 ounce smoked sausages, sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon Spice Tribe Porcini Paradiso Blend
- 3 cups whole cherry tomatoes
- .75 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 cups fresh spinach - sautéed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup yellow corn grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- .5 cup half n half or heavy cream
- .25 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
For the smoortjie
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent & fragrant. Add sausage, mushrooms and porcini paradiso, cook 5 minutes until sausage is slightly crisp then add tomatoes and stock. Place a lid on and reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes until tomatoes are broken down and saucy. Add sugar, season to taste with pepper.
- Bring water and chicken broth to a boil over medium-high, gradually whisk in grits and add butter. Lower heat to medium and continue to stir until grits are thickened or cooked through (about 20-35 minutes depending on the grind). Turn off heat, stir in the half n half followed by Parmesan and season to taste. It’ll thicken upon standing, have some extra stock ready if it needs thinning out. Serve with spinach and smoortjie.