White Bean Hummus with Crispy Garlic and Pepitas
The key to this dish are the contrasting textures – creamy white bean hummus mixed with crispy garlic and pepitas are so unbelievably good together. The addition of the Masa Mole spice blend adds a nice warmth and complexity that really bring the dish together.The key here is to add the spice blend after the garlic is crispy so they don’t burn before you achieve the desired crunch. Ground spices don’t need much heat or time to bloom when tempered in oil. The result is a spice-infused oil that is the perfect finish to this hummus or any other dishes that need a burst of spiced garlic. To be honest, the list of dishes is endless.
- 1- 15 oz can of cannellini beans
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 3-4 Tbsp lime juice, to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
Crispy garlic chile oil topping
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Masa Mole Mexican Blend
- 3 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- Mix all of the ingredients together for the hummus and season to taste with salt and lemon.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and garlic cloves.
- Continue to cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the moisture has evaporated from the garlic and they begin to turn light brown and get crispy.
- Add the Masa Mole blend and then strain the garlic, reserving the oil in a bowl. Spread the garlic on a paper towel to dry and get crispy.
- Once garlic has cooled and is crispy, add the garlic back to the oil along with the pumpkin seeds.
- Add hummus to a bowl and make an indent in the center to add the chile garlic pepitas and oil.
When making the crispy garlic, I have found that removing the garlic from the oil to cool before adding it back to the oil helps retain the texture.