“My grandmother Hazel C. Todd (“Grammy”) was an amazing cook. At first she didn’t know how to make much, her mother Mary and father Joseph had a lot of kids...
Hazel C. Todd Chicken Seasoning
“My grandmother Hazel C. Todd (“Grammy”) was an amazing cook."
One of the first things she taught me to master was her fried chicken and I'm sure this herby, spicy melange will perk up fried chicken, fish, seafood, hush puppies and oven or air-fried goodies too! " - Michael W. Twitty
Read full story below
Cooking Gene Spice Collection by Michael W. Twitty
FREE USA Shipping on orders over $45
Glass Jar Net Weight: 1.7 oz
No Additives, GMOs, Or Fillers, No MSG, No Salt
My grandmother Hazel C. Todd (“Grammy”) was an amazing cook. At first she didn’t know how to make much, her mother Mary and father Joseph had a lot of kids and my great grandmother, affectionately known as “Big Mama,” didn’t really do to much culinary training. She learned a lot by watching her father who made the large Sunday midday meal after church and after she married my Grandfather gleaned a lot from her aunties and the ladies in her circles. She really knew how to impart the taste of Alabama in her food. A survivor of the Jim Crow South, my Grammy was dedicated to Civil Rights and Pan Africanism. She used to tell me, “sit up straight like Mr. Garvey!” Her food—her chicken and greens and candied yams and homemade rolls were always a hit and she gave away a lot to friends and neighbors even though she never really had a lot. One of the first things she taught me to master was her fried chicken and I’m sure this herby, spicy melange will perk up fried chicken, fish, seafood, hush puppies and oven or air-fried goodies too! The trick is to season the protein or veggie well not the flour. My grandmother was keen to remind me the spices would burn in the hot grease.
Tips for Success
- Michael W. Twitty is a culinary historian and food writer from the Washington D.C. area. He blogs at Afroculinaria.com. He’s appeared on Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmern, Many Rivers to Cross with Henry Louis Gates and most recently Taste the Nation with Top Chef’s Padma Lakshmi. HarperCollins released Twitty’s The Cooking Gene, in 2017, tracing his ancestry through food from Africa to America and from slavery to freedom, a finalist for The Kirkus Prize and The Art of Eating Prize and a third place winner of Barnes&Noble’s Discover New Writer’s Awards in Nonfiction.
- THE COOKING GENE WON the 2018 James Beard Award for best writing as well as book of the year, making him the first Black author so awarded. his piece on visiting Ghana in Bon Appetit was included in Best Food Writing in 2019 and was nominated for a 2019 James Beard Award. His next book, Rice will be out with UNC press in 2021. Koshersoul, his follow up to The Cooking Gene, will be out in 2022 through HarperCollins.
Are these blends salt free?
Yes! These blends are not only salt free but they are free of any preservatives, fillers or gluten.
Are these blends certified organic?
Unfortunately we do not have any certifications at this time but most of our spices are organically grown and all of them are non gmo. Each ingredient can be traced back to its origin. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Do you have recipes to go with these blends?
We are working on it! We have an ever expanding recipe library of chef tested recipes. Recipes using these spices will be up soon. Click here to learn more. Please shoot us an email if there are any recipes you would like to see at email@example.com.
You may also like
- GMGenevieve M.Verified BuyerI recommend this productCooking Skills AdvancedFavorite things about the spice? Great Flavor, Tastes Fresh, Great ValueRated 5 out of 5 stars1 month agoYummy
Used it to season my air fryer whole chicken It was so good
I wish bottle had a shaker lid Will definitely buy moreWas this helpful?
- JLJungho L.Verified BuyerI recommend this productCooking Skills AdvancedFavorite things about the spice? Great FlavorWhich cuisines did you use your spice in mostly? North AmericanRated 5 out of 5 stars2 months agoMy favorite spice blend of all
Omg. With this chicken seasoning, I can make fried chicken with confidence to all my guests. This so far is my favorite blend Spice tribe offers.Was this helpful?
- RRobynI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoWill improve nearly everything
What a great blend! It is indeed redolent of fried chicken, yet incredibly versatile. I just added some to a summer veggie medley (cymlins, eggplant, tomatoes, onions and okra) and the result was fantastic.Was this helpful?
- BPBea P.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoYummy spice
Love the spice. DO NOT LIKE THE LABELS. To hard to readWas this helpful?
FREE Shipping on orders $45+
No more products available for purchase
✅ You got a Free Wild Cured Sumac! Spend $45 for FREE shipping
Shipping $60 FREE
Spice Spoon $75 FREE
Your cart is currently empty.