Serving Size: 4-6 Ingredients 2 lb Chicken thighs (boneless and skinless) 2 tbsp Mama Manje Spicy Caribbean Blend 1 tsp Pink Peruvian Salt or 2 tsp of kosher salt or...
Mama Manje Haitian Blend
Spicy Caribbean Blend
Mama Manje is very unique Caribbean spice blend inspired by a trip to Haiti with Every Mother Counts, a non-profit organization dedicated to making maternity and childbirth safe for all mothers around the globe www.everymothercounts.org. As I sipped my Te Jenjam, a hot herbal concoction of ginger, star anise and cinnamon, and watched the cooking unfold, the warmth of ginger and cinnamon mixing with the aromatics of the fresh Epis, a fragrant blend of chiles, garlic, peppers, green onions and fresh herbs, the inspiration for this blend was born. CONTAINS MEDIUM- HIGH HEAT.
FREE USA Shipping on orders over $45
No Additives, GMOs, Or Fillers, No MSG, No Salt
Inspired by Hinche, Haiti
Once upon a time in Haiti, on a trip with Every Mother Counts, the non-profit making maternity safe for moms everywhere, I was welcomed into a bustling kitchen of joyful female cooks. Big pots were steaming on small propane burners, fires were crackling under makeshift grills and the air was fragrant with epís—a Caribbean seasoning base akin to South American salsa verde, and mashed with a mortar and pestle just the same. Adding to the aromatic symphony was the te jenjam, or fresh ginger tea with cinnamon and star anise, I was drinking—a warm offering from one of the cooks. Mama Manje is my way of rekindling that fragrant afternoon in Haiti: I’ve combined those warming tea spices with traditional epís ingredients like habanero, onions, thyme and garlic to create a punchy, fresh-ground dry blend that gives jerk chicken a strong kick, crab butter a tropical flair and Chinese Five Spice a run for its money.
Tips for Success
- Clumping is normal as we don’t use anti caking agents or salt. If clumping occurs simply break apart with your hands before seasoning.
- Try not to pour spices out of the jar over a steaming pot or pan as the steam can get in the jar and cause further clumping.
- For maximum flavor make sure to use with salt.
- Ground spices can burn quickly so make sure to use oil to help distribute the heat more evenly when making a rub.
How do you use this blend?
Here are just a few ideas! Delicious on all seafood, pork and chicken, add this blend to garlic butter for your shellfish dipping sauce, BBQ chicken, stews, rice and beans, coconut curry, plantains.
Where does the name come from?
This blend was inspired by a trip to Haiti with the non profit Every Mother Counts. We spent a day in Hinche, Haiti at a midwifery where they work to make child birth safe for mothers. I spent the day with the women in the kitchen, learning to make epis, a Haitian seasoning paste, cleaning chicken legs and other dishes while we drank Te Jenjamn tea. Manje means food in Haitian and this blend is a homage to all of the mothers and people making child birth safer for women in Haiti. This blend has flavors of epis and the spices in the tea we drank and brings me right back to the day we were able to spend together.
What’s in it?
This blend is salt free and made of non gmo spices. No additives or fillers. Ingredients: Green bell pepper, Onion, Thyme, Cinnamon, Garlic, Ginger, Habanero, Star Anise.
BLT sandwiches seem to be having a moment right now. I mean, it makes sense for everyone to be wanting a BLT at this time because it is after all...Lily Morello
Who doesn’t like food on a stick?! These refreshing grilled shrimp skewers are a perfect way to celebrate a beautiful afternoon grilling in the backyard. It will take you less...Chef Patricio Duffoo
Healthy and delicious keto cobb salad is low-calorie (low-carb, obviously), gluten-free, very tasty, and full of flavors. This salad is made with fresh romaine lettuce greens, sautéed chicken breast, crispy...Nkechi Ajaeroh
You may also like
- KKKaren K.Verified BuyerI recommend this productCooking Skills IntermediateFavorite things about the spice? Great Flavor, VersatileWhich cuisines did you use your spice in mostly? North American, Caribbean, African, Latin American, MediterraneanRated 5 out of 5 stars2 months agoGives a good kick up in flavor
I love spice blends like this that give a hint of the different and the exotic.Was this helpful?
- YBYolonda B.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoLove this
Used this to season a whole chicken before roasting it was so yummyWas this helpful?
- JSJerald S.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years ago5 Stars
The soup my wife made with this was very good.Was this helpful?
- APAudrey P.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars2 years agoSpicy Mama
What a delicious kick “Mama Manje” added to my Black Bean Stew. This creative mix of spices is so unique and complex. I’ve already shared some with my friends and I’ll be back to order more. —A.PhillipsWas this helpful?
- KGKathy G.Verified BuyerI recommend this productRated 5 out of 5 stars3 years ago5 Stars
This is a wonderful spice combo. I love the smell as I cook with it and the taste is amazingWas this helpful?
FREE Shipping on orders $45+
No more products available for purchase
✅ You got a Free Wild Cured Sumac! Spend $45 for FREE shipping
Shipping $60 FREE
Spice Spoon $75 FREE
Your cart is currently empty.