Banana Bread French Toast
Serving Size: 6-7
- 1 loaf Banana bread, sliced
- 3 cups Heavy cream
- 1 pc Orange, zested
- 2 pcs Lemon, zested
- 2 pcs Spice Tribe True Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 pcs Spice Tribe Senahu Green Cardamom Pods
- 4 oz Granulated Sugar
- 2 oz Sweet Sherry
- 5 pcs Large Eggs
- Slice the banana bread into 1 inch thick slices. (Protip here is to slice the banana bread the night before and let it sit covered on top of your kitchen counter or to use a day or 2 day old banana bread loaf)
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs together well and set aside.
- In a medium size saucepan combine heavy cream, orange zest, lemon zest, Cinnamon sticks, Cardamom pods, sugar, sweet sherry and bring up to a boil. Remove from the heat and let it set aside to steep for 20 minutes. After this time, strain the cream mixture (to remove the citrus zest, Cinnamon sticks and Cardamom pods) into the eggs and whisk together until well incorporated. Set aside to cool off completely.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a baking dish and pour the batter over the bread, let the bread slices soak in the batter for at least 30 to 45 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the batter. This step is really important in order to get a creamy French Toast.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat add 2 tbsp of butter, once the butter starts to sizzle start frying the banana bread slices until golden brown on each side. Add additional butter as you need it.
- Dust with powdered sugar and/or ground cinnamon.
- Serve with banana slices and blueberry compote (can be served with any fruit compote, whipped cream or maple syrup)