Street Style Grilled Corn with Guajillo Aioli
For corn lovers, this side dish is always a hit. It’s grilled corn on the cob inspired by the popular snack sold by street vendors all over Mexico called ‘elote.’
Slathered in a sauce of Mexican Crema mixed with mayonnaise and served with Cotija cheese, chili powder, and lime, it’s the perfect snack or side dish for any summer BBQ.
Usually, white corn is used in Mexico; however, yellow corn works really well for this recipe too and the slight char from the grilling brings out the corn’s nutty flavor. The combination of all the different parts makes it a sweet, salty, nutty, tart little savory treat!
If you have trouble finding Mexican Crema, you can replace it with sour cream as well as feta cheese or queso fresco if you can’t find cotija cheese. Consider adding chopped cilantro, sliced scallions, or bacon bits if you’re feeling adventurous. Truly, a forgiving recipe that allows substitutions and the use of your imagination. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 4
- 4 ears Yellow corn
- 2 Lime
- Spice Tribe Maras Chili Flakes
- Spice Tribe California Love All Purpose Blend
- 2 tsp Spice Tribe Masa Mole Mexican Blend
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema
- 1/4 cup Guajillo Paste
- 2 cups Cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- Olive Oil
Guajillo Paste (yield 1 cup)
- 12 Spice Tribe Guajillo chiles (rehydrated, stemmed, seeded and chopped)
- 2/3 cup Water (same liquid used to rehydrate the pods)
- 1 tsp Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- In a mixing bowl add the Mayonnaise, Mexican Crema, Guajillo paste and Masa Mole Mexican Blend, combine well and set aside.
- Peel back the husk from corn, keeping it attached as much as possible to the steam end and remove the silk from the cob.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Brush the corn with little oil and grill it until cooked through and slightly charred in spots all around, turning them as often as needed, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the grill and immediately brush each ear with a thin layer of the Guajillo mixture to cover well. Sprinkle each ear with Maras Chili Flakes, California Love All Purpose Blend and Cotija cheese. Serve immediately with lime wedges.