Bún Nem Nướng (Vietnamese Sausage And Rice Noodle)
Chef Tu David Phu
Nem nướng, is Vietnamese pork sausage. It’s (often) formed into a meatball or patty. And often conformed around a sugar cane stick to be grilled. The cardinal rules making nem nướng are [don’t overmix; don’t undermix; make sure the ground meat is really cold; the seasoning needs to be perfect; having a thorough understanding of fish sauce chemistry.] And you know what’s the best part? If you make your nem nướng ahead of time, this can be an incredibly quick and delicious meal to put together for you and your family. Note: Ideally, it is served over rice noodles-which is very reminiscent of Bún chả .
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Son Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Chopped Thai Chili
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Minced Shallot
- 2 tsp Sambal (Fermented Chili Paste)
- 3 tbsp Organic Sugar (or 1/3 tsp stevia)
- 2 tbsp Son Fish Sauce
Spice Tribe/Chef Tu Nem Nuong Sausage Seasoning
- 1 cup daikon (Cut into match sticks)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar
- 1 cup rice vinegar (Unseasoned)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 clove peeled garlic
- 1/4 ounce peeled ginger (Sliced)
- 1 each jalapeno
- 2 tbsp high heat cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp Son Fish Sauce
- 1/8 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/10 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 each Cucumber (cut into ribbons or spears)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Toasted Peanuts
Nước Mắm Chấm Recipe [Seasoned Fish Sauce/Salad Dressing]
Pickled Carrots And Daikon
Make Nước Mắm Chấm Recipe [Seasoned Fish Sauce/Salad Dressing]
- Chop Thai Chili
- Mince garlic and shallot
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, the minced add 2 tsp. of Thai Chili, 2 tbsp. of Minced Shallot, 2 tsp. of Minced Garlic.
- Add2 tsp. of Fermeneted Chiil
- Add 1/4 cup of Lemon Juice
- Add 1 cup of Coconut Water
- Add 1 cup of Coconut Water
- Then season the sauce with 3 tbsp Organic Sugar (or 1/3 tsp stevia)
- And last, stir the sauce until the ingredients all well incorporated.
Nem Nướng (Vietnamese Sausage)
- Ground pork needs to be refrigerated for at least 8 hours prior to use.
- Make a slurry with Son Fish Sauce and Nem Nuong Sausage Seasoning.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix ground pork with slurry for 10 minutes.
- Refrigerator meat mixture for at least 20 minutes, cover with plastic wrap
- Portion the meat mixture, and form 1 oz. patties
- Cook meat patties on a hot grill (or skillet), for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- All the meat patties to rest for 5 minutes prior to serving, to retain juices.
Cook Rice Noodles
- Put on a pot of boiling water
- Put noodles, stirring occasionally
- Cook noodles for 5-8 minutes. [Check doneness by eating noodle]
- Drain noodles in a colander
- Rinse to remove starch and cool down noodles
- Drain rice noodles in a colander for 5 minutes before serving
- Cut carrots and daikon into 1/8″ thick x 2-3″ long
- In a medium-size pot, add [1/4 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 cup rice cinegar, 2 cups of water, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 sliver of ginger, 1/2 each Jalapeno]
- Bring the pot to a simmer
- Take the pot off the heat
- Add cut carrots and daikon
- Submerge carrots and daikon (under pickling liquid) with a small plate
- Allow carrots and daikon to steep for at least 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Store carrots and daikon in pickling liquid and use as needed.
- In this recipe, we will use all the daikon and carrots we prepared
Make Scallion Oil
- In a small saucepan, preheat oil [2 tbsp] on low for 1 minute
- Turn off heat
- Add 1 cup of sliced scallions
- Add a soft pinch of kosher salt
- Add fish sauce and rice vinegar
- Cook until tender. Turn off heat.
- In a large soup bowl, first, start with rice noodles
- Step 39 -
- Nestle the Meat Patties on the noodles
- Garnish with mint, cucumber, and pickled carrots
- Generously ladle the Nước Mắm Chấm in your bowl
- Finish with one spoon full of scallion oil